The Australian Fertilizer Industry Sustainability and Stewardship report can be downloaded below.
Fertilizer assists in feeding and clothing around half the world’s population and will help the world to feed and clothe more than 9 billion people by 2050.
Fertilizer provides the nutrients essential for plant growth. Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and sulphur are the building blocks of all plant and animal life. As crops and animals are removed and consumed, so too are the nutrients they have taken up. For a sustainable system, these nutrients must be replaced and that is the key role that fertilizers play.
Good stewardship of fertilizer use will help to ensure we can continue to feed a growing population with less impact on the environment. Increasing productivity on existing agricultural land means less native land will need to be converted to agriculture. Net greenhouse gas emissions will be less than they would be if larger scale clearing of native land for agriculture were to occur.
Fertilizer also presents a range of risks in several areas. The challenge for the fertilizer industry is to continue to assist in food and fibre production whilst ensuring we manage the risks that are associated with our products. Through effective stewardship, our industry is committed to managing for a sustainable future.
The members of Fertilizer Australia are committed to supporting six strategic pillars:
• Industry Standards – keeping our house in order through the implementation of codes of practice and industry standards.
• Policy and Regulation – strong partnerships with government and other stakeholders to help design and implement effective policies to manage the risks and benefits of fertilizer use.
• Stewardship – responsible use of fertilizer, Fertcare training and accreditation.
• Sustainability – effective use of fertilizer to replace the nutrients removed in crops and animal products.
• Fertilizer Industry Representation – engagement with government, grower and industry associations.
• Communication – telling our story so that good decisions can be made based on facts and the best available science.
The Sustainability and Stewardship report forms a critical part of this commitment. It demonstrates how well our members are performing in implementing codes of practice, training, accreditation programs, and best practice standards. It also describes a range of issues, the industry’s approach to these issues and how well we are performing.
Our industry is committed to engaging with stakeholders in responsible policy development and implementation to ensure that fertilizer products continue to be used in a sustainable way. This is backed up by a substantial contribution to managing risks, throughout the life-cycle of our products, so that we can be a positive partner in turning good policy into effective action.
We welcome feedback and opportunities for further engagement. I trust the Sustainability and Stewardship report will be a useful part of that process.